Category archives: Maintenance

Naming Dagny.

A boat needs a proper name and I couldn’t think of a better one than “Dagny.” It remained to be painted on the hull, which my friend Christine graciously offered to do.

It was also the first time I put the Achilles dinghy in the water. After the painting we rowed it to the restaurant across the water and made it with only minutes to spare before the kitchen closed. It rows easily and is the perfect size for a couple people, maybe three in a pinch.

I also installed the pure-sinewave thousand-Watt inverter which allows me to run tools and anything else using 110V AC. Painting on the inside of the cabin was again made difficult by the heat, 90F+ feeling like 105 because of the humididy.

Dagny is coming along slowly but surely. I expect another four days of work before I can set off maybe in a couple months. There are still a few safety items I need to buy before leaving, not to mention the need of a “cruising kitty.”

Flattr this!

Cabin Painting Progress.

I didn’t get to paint as much as I hoped this week-end. It is amazing how much surface there is to paint inside a boat. I started with the bow and worked my way back. It was hot and cramped in there, not pleasant work, even though I enjoy painting. Worst thing is, I will have to apply a second coat. After the bow and forward storage section, I painted the bunks in grey, as well as the sole forward of the mast. As you can see on the photo, I didn’t get to paint the second bulkhead or the mast. It will probably take three or four more days of painting to finish the interior.

Bow Painting

Bow Painting

The only tasks left to do aside from painting are adding some wiring, including a 12V and USB charging plug, some wiring for radios and a new battery, if I can afford one. The rudder is at my house and needs a bit of painting as well. I really should have some type of stanchions or handholds for safety… I will definitely have lifelines on which to clip a harness tether. The companionway and the forward hatch need some varnishing and locks.

Everything else is adding equipment like a second anchor and rode, VHF radio, sea anchor, wifi antenna, fenders, etc. Finally there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Flattr this!

Deck Painting.

Dagny came with an unpainted deck. The plywood had just a coat of Awlgrip grey primer. It was imperative to seal it right away. First step was to lay a couple coats of West System epoxy to make sure no fresh water could work its way into the wood. There was already a little bit of damage where the stanchion screws went through the deck.

Dagny's deck before painting.

Dagny’s deck before painting.

I chose Pettit EasyPoxy deck paint; not the two-part type, which I decided would be a bit of a pain to apply, but the single-part paint. With the help of a couple friends we sanded the wood and applied two coats. The boat looked so much better, but the deck was so slippery, I almost fell over a couple times.

For safety’s sake, I had to apply an anti-skid on top of the paint. I decided to use KiWiGrip, which is applied with a special roller to create a non-skid texture. Some people use sand mixed with regular paint, but The Frances is too nice a boat for such a treatment. The paint had to be lightly sanded of course, then cleaned with acetone, never a pleasant job. One gallon did not cover the whole deck, so I ordered an extra quart, which hopefully will be enough.

The result is pretty darn nice:

KiwiGrip anti-skid.

KiwiGrip anti-skid.

Flattr this!