Tag: building

Building a New Companionway Bubble Hatch.

When it rains it pours, and it is pouring down my hatch right now every time it rains. My most pressing issue became the replacement of Dagny’s companionway hatch. Remembering Roger Taylor’s Mingmind and Bernard Moitessier’s Joshua, I decided to add a Lexan (polycarbonate) bubble to the hatch so I could have a look outside without exposing myself to the elements. My friend Erin drew the hatch on his CAD station and sent the file to Marc at Elite Woodwork in Sarasota, who is also a friend and incidentally my last Systema instructor. Between the two of them it didn’t take long before I was heading back home with my three layers of cut half-inch marine plywood. Marc’s CNC cutting machine is amazing, just watch the video:

Next I epoxied the bottom and middle layers together. My resin pump broke, prompting me to eyeball the mix, not a good idea. It seemed to have worked this time.
I could have waited to set the bubble in until I was at the boat, but there was still quite a bit of work to do and it would be much easier to do it at home. I decided to set the bubble in, trusting my measurements and the computer model. Again I eyeballed the epoxy mix. Next was gluing the side rails in. This time my luck ran out with my mixing scheme. It took forever for the epoxy to set. The result is probably not as strong as it could be. I hope it will set fully in time.
Fortunately I found another pump to finish the job. I glued the transversal bars on the bottom of the hatch. They will receive the flat metal bars that keep the hatch secured and allow it to slide to open and close the companionway. Hopefully everything will fit. I will put one last coat of epoxy over everything tomorrow and hope to go to Dagny on Sunday. The varnish will have to wait until the hatch is installed.


Hatch Installed

Hatch Installed

The hatch fits like a glove without even a hint of sideways play. What an improvement! Happy as a clam right now..

On this next trip, the main goals will be to finish the cabin interior painting and install the hatch, along with a flurry of other small tasks of course. My radio installation isn’t quite complete. I still need to install my kerosene stove, the companionway lock, and fix the five feet of rub rail I removed. There are two small spots of rot to take care of. The list never ends. I hope this will be the last big work session on Dagny. All the big tasks should be done by Thursday.

As my departure date approaches, though I have no precise idea when that will be, the whole project is getting closer to reality. It is quite different to plan and work on a boat than actually realizing that a big adventure might soon be starting. Not that getting Dagny ready hasn’t been an adventure in itself, but leaving for me will be the start of a whole new life, hopefully. There comes a time when your days all look the same. I could describe the last three years of my life with a few sentences. That scares me more than storms, pirates or anything else. Ideally I would leave in about three weeks. There are so many things I need to do before then, it just seems overwhelming; not to mention finances and health concerns. I am forging ahead, and like we say in France, “advienne que pourra.”

Flattr this!