Tag: painting

Cabin Painting Almost Finished!

It was a good four productive days on Dagny. I completed about 60% of the cabin painting with Pettit “Easy Cabin Coat,” a mold and mildew Resistant interior paint. A look at the previousely painted bow section seems to show that the paint works. There was no mold at all on the new paint. The only issue I have with it is that it isn’t mechanically strong. Anything rubbing on the surface will peel the paint right off. If I was to do it again I would first apply Pettit Easy-Poxy and then the Easy Cabin Coat.

The Fusion 1000W pure sinewave inverter powered my orbital sander easily and the solar panels kept the battery full. This inverter however is very RF noisy. I can’t use any of my radios at the same time. You get what you pay for. I also can’t use my laptop with it as the mouse cursor goes crazy. I hope it is the RF noise, and not a bad waveform. I will use it for charging only and run the computer on its battery when working.


I understand now the sailor’s fascination with fans! It felt like 120 degrees inside. I wore just my underwear, and it was still way too hot to stay below for any lenght of time, and not because I was half naked! Now I know how dogs locked in cars on hot days feel like.. Doing nothing laying on a bunk was barely tolerable. As soon as I moved I started sweating. I need to investigate those dorado boxed more closely. There was no wind, so I am not sure they would have helped.

One thing I will have to be aware of is my exposure to the sun. That means long sleeves, pants, and something for my neck and face, if just some sunscreen. I burned my knees this week-end just by being on deck for a little while. It doesn’t take long.

My companionway hatch is all warped because of rain and the failing of the fiberglass I glued on with epoxy. I didn’t have my sander then and sanded by hand, obviousely not well enough. I also suspect the fiberglass/epoxy shrunk, and since it was on the outside only, pulled on the planks. I will build a new one out of marine plywood left overs from my Fafnir project. I am even thinking of including a clear bubble to allow a good look around without having to open the hatch.

Another four-day session at the end of this month should be enough to finish the boat. It is never 100% finished of course, and I know of a few to-do list items I will have to complete under way or at anchor somewhere. I just didn’t want to have any big project going on to spoil my adventure. In the mean time I will probably build the companionway hatch and drop it off in a couple weeks. Rain water finding its way down below during every squall can’t be good.

A guy stopped by to offer his diving services to clean my bottom, uh, the boat’s bottom I mean.. One Dollar per foot, that’s $26 for Dagny. I eagerly handed out my money, also left him a new zinc to put on the propeller shaft. “No extra charge,” just my lucky day. I will have him do it one more time before leaving. My three-bladed prop will be enough of a drag, I don’t need the extra barnacles!

Thanks to Melina and Dave again for helping me getting there and back.

I have such good friends here, it will be very hard to leave them all behind.

Flattr this!

Naming Dagny.

A boat needs a proper name and I couldn’t think of a better one than “Dagny.” It remained to be painted on the hull, which my friend Christine graciously offered to do.

It was also the first time I put the Achilles dinghy in the water. After the painting we rowed it to the restaurant across the water and made it with only minutes to spare before the kitchen closed. It rows easily and is the perfect size for a couple people, maybe three in a pinch.

I also installed the pure-sinewave thousand-Watt inverter which allows me to run tools and anything else using 110V AC. Painting on the inside of the cabin was again made difficult by the heat, 90F+ feeling like 105 because of the humididy.

Dagny is coming along slowly but surely. I expect another four days of work before I can set off maybe in a couple months. There are still a few safety items I need to buy before leaving, not to mention the need of a “cruising kitty.”

Flattr this!

Cabin Painting Progress.

I didn’t get to paint as much as I hoped this week-end. It is amazing how much surface there is to paint inside a boat. I started with the bow and worked my way back. It was hot and cramped in there, not pleasant work, even though I enjoy painting. Worst thing is, I will have to apply a second coat. After the bow and forward storage section, I painted the bunks in grey, as well as the sole forward of the mast. As you can see on the photo, I didn’t get to paint the second bulkhead or the mast. It will probably take three or four more days of painting to finish the interior.

Bow Painting

Bow Painting

The only tasks left to do aside from painting are adding some wiring, including a 12V and USB charging plug, some wiring for radios and a new battery, if I can afford one. The rudder is at my house and needs a bit of painting as well. I really should have some type of stanchions or handholds for safety… I will definitely have lifelines on which to clip a harness tether. The companionway and the forward hatch need some varnishing and locks.

Everything else is adding equipment like a second anchor and rode, VHF radio, sea anchor, wifi antenna, fenders, etc. Finally there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Flattr this!